Tuesday, October 12, 2021

" The GOD You Can Know ! "

 


     Everyone has questions about GOD. What is HE like ? Does HE really care about me ? How do I get to know HIM ?

     On one occasion, a class of students were drawing pictures about people from the Bible. One youngster was especially intent in her work. "What are you drawing ?" and observer asked. "Oh, I'm drawing a picture of GOD," she replied confidently. "Well, that's a nice idea," he answered, "but really no one knows what GOD looks like." "Oh, they will when I get done !" she replied, and hurried on with her drawing.

     Think about that for a moment: "They'll now what GOD looks like when I get done." An overstatement ? Yes, for a four-year-old. But not for JESUS CHRIST. HE came to show us GOD.

     One of the names given to JESUS is "EMMANUEL," which means "GOD with us." When JESUS was on Earth, GOD was on Earth. When JESUS healed, GOD healed. When JESUS forgave sinners, GOD forgave sinners. The Bible says that "GOD was in CHRIST, reconciling the world unto HIMSELF." (2nd.Corinthians 5:19)

     When JESUS came to earth, HE revealed GOD through simple, yet beautiful figures of speech. HE said, " I AM the SHEPHERD . . . I AM the DOOR . . . I AM the BREAD of Life."

     A good shepherd is a tender-hearted person, seeking the lost sheep. So GOD is compassionate, seeking each lost man, woman & child in our big, bustling world. HE is the door. Through HIM is the knowledge of GOD. HE is the bread of life. HE is to your soul what bread is to your body.

     On the Cross of Calvary JESUS fully revealed GOD's love. "For GOD so loved the world, that HE gave HIS only begotten SON, that whosoever believes in HIM should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

     When HE died, HE was actually taking our place that we might live. There HE took the punishment that you and I deserved for our sins. Why ? Because everyone is a sinner. "For ALL have sinned, and come short of the glory of GOD;" (Romans 3:23) And everyone needs a SAVIOR.  "Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the Gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; by which also ye are saved, . . .For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that CHRIST died for our sins according to the Scriptures; and that HE was buried, and that HE rose again the third day according to the Scriptures;" (1st.Corinthians 15:1-2a,3-4)

     By CHRIST's birth, HIS life on Earth, HIS death, and HIS resurrection from the grave, we can know GOD. HE promises: " I AM the WAY, the TRUTH, and the LIFE: no man comes unto the FATHER, but by ME." (John 14:6)

     Do you know GOD ? Or do you just know about HIM ? There is a big difference. You can know all the theological facts but not know HIM. Knowing GOD requires personal faith in HIS SON and what HE has accomplished for you personally. Coming to HIM is your admission that you are turning to GOD from your sins to receive JESUS as your personal SAVIOR and LORD. 

     JESUS CHRIST invites you: "BEHOLD, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear MY voice, and open the door, I will come in." (Revelation 3:20)

Adapted from an article by Harold J. Sala

The Bible says that "the goodness of GOD leadeth thee to repentance" (Romans 2:4). If you would be willing to turn to GOD in repentance and faith, and receive CHRIST as your personal SAVIOR, then pray this simple prayer or one like it with all your heart:

LORD, I know that I am a sinner, and I believe YOU died and rose again for me. I am trusting YOU to forgive me, come into my heart and save me. Help me to live for YOU always. In JESUS' name I pray, AMEN.

Everlasting life begins when we receive CHRIST as our personal SAVIOR. The LORD JESUS said, "Verily, verily, I say unto you. He that hears MY WORD, and believes on HIM that sent ME, has everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life." (John 5:24)
Your servant in CHRIST, 
Julie



No comments:

Post a Comment