Thursday, October 1, 2026

"The Comfort Series: The Presence of the SPIRIT Brings Comfort"

 

John 13:36-14:18 "Simon Peter said unto HIM, LORD, whither goest THOU ? JESUS answered him, Whither I go, thou canst not follow ME now; but thou shalt follow ME after wards. Peter said unto HIM, LORD, why cannot I follow THEE now ? I will lay down my life for THY sake. JESUS answered him, Wilt thou lay down thy life for MY sake ? Verily, verily, I say unto thee, The cock shall not crow, till thou hast denied ME thrice. Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in GOD, believe also in ME. In MY FATHER's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto MYSELF; that where I AM, there ye may be also. And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know.

Thomas saith unto HIM, LORD, we know not whither THOU goest; and how can we know the way ? JESUS saith unto him, I AM the WAY, the Truth, and the LIFE: no man cometh unto the FATHER, but by ME. If ye had known ME, ye should have known MY FATHER also: and from henceforth ye know HIM, and have seen HIM. Philip saith unto HIM, LORD, show us the FATHER, and it sufficeth us. JESUS saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known ME, Philip ? he that hath seen ME hath seen the FATHER; and how sayest thou then, Show us the FATHER ? Believest thou not that I AM in the FATHER, and the FATHER in ME ? the WORDs that I speak unto you I speak not of MYSELF; but the FATHER that dwelleth in ME, HE doeth the works. Believe ME that I AM in the FATHER, and the FATHER in ME: or else believe ME for the very works' sake.

Verily, verily, I say unto you. He that believeth on ME, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto MY FATHER. And whatsoever ye shall ask in MY name, that will I do, that the FATHER may be glorified in the SON. If ye shall ask any thing in MY name, I will do it. If ye love ME, keep MY commandments. And I will pray the FATHER, and HE shall give you another COMFORTER, that HE may abide with you for ever; even the SPIRIT of truth; WHOM the world cannot receive, because it seeth HIM not, neither knoweth HIM: but ye know HIM; for HE dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you."
     The first fifteen verses of John 14 contain a list of six reasons why JESUS' disciples, as well as Christians today, can take heart in these troublesome days despite the fact that our SAVIOR is not physically present with us. According to JESUS, we should find comfort: 

Through belief in HIM (John 14:1)

Through expectation of HIS imminent return to take us to HIS FATHER's house (John 14:3)

Through certainty of salvation (John 14:6)

Through assurance of HIS deity (John 14:7-11)
 
Through divine empowerment for ministry (John 14:12-13)

Through the ability to engage in personal prayer with HIM (John 14:13-14)

In John 14:16-18, the LORD JESUS concludes HIS list of "comforts" by revealing to HIS disciples that HE would send the HOLY SPIRIT to permanently indwell them. We can experience great comfort today by realizing that this same HOLY SPIRIT is in us and that we, too, can rely on HIS resources in our own life and service for GOD!
     JESUS described the HOLY SPIRIT's role in the life of the believe in verse sixteen by HIS use of the word "COMFORTER" (Greek: paraclete). The term paraclete means "advocate" (as in 1st.John 2:1 pictured above) or "helper." It denotes a "coming alongside to help in an encouraging manner." JESUS had just told HIS disciples that their love for HIM would motivate them to keep HIS WORD (John 14:15), but as human beings, they needed help, being unable to rely upon their own flesh for the strength they needed. Therefore, JESUS said HE would send a "HELPER." Even today, our old, sinful nature constantly wages battle against our "new man" in CHRIST. We cannot have victory over sin in our life without the help of the HOLY SPIRIT (Romans 8:12-15 pictured above). What comfort HIS presence brings ! MDC
Your servant in CHRIST,
Julie
Copyright, FEATURE: A Daily Bible Study Guide.
Used  with permission.    www.featoday.org

https://www.fivestarchristianministries.com/salvation






No comments:

Post a Comment