Jeremiah 20:7-13 "O LORD, THOU hast deceived me, and I was deceived: THOU art stronger than I, and hast prevailed: I am in derision daily, every one mocketh me. First since I spake, I cried out, I cried violence and spoil; because the WORD of the LORD was made a reproach unto me, and a derision daily. Then I said, I will not make mention of HIM, nor speak any more in HIS name. BUT HIS WORD was in mine heart as a burning fire shut up in my bones, and I was weary with forbearing, and I could not stay.
For I heard the defaming of many, fear on every side. Report, say they, and we will report it. All my familiars watched for my halting, saying, Peradventure he will be enticed, and we shall prevail against him, and we shall take our revenge on him. But the LORD is with me as a MIGHTY TERRIBLE ONE: therefore my persecutors shall stumble, and they shall not prevail: they shall be greatly ashamed; for they shall not prosper: their everlasting confusion shall never be forgotten. But, O LORD of hosts, that triest the righteous, and seest the reins and the heart, let me see THY vengeance on them: for unto THEE have I opened my cause. Sing unto the LORD, praise ye the LORD: for HE hath delivered the soul of the poor from the hand of evildoers."
Jeremiah stands out in Scripture as one of the great prophets of GOD, yet, at the same time, he was also one of the most disdained. As he decried Judah's sin and prophesied of pending judgment, he faced vehement opposition. He stood virtually alone. If there was ever an unpopular preacher who represented a despised minority opinion, it was Jeremiah ! The false prophets he warned against and the inhabitants of Jerusalem who were blinded by their lies did everything they could to malign Jeremiah's stalwart testimony (Jeremiah 14:14 pictured above; 17:18-20). The very ones he was trying to help, in turn, scorned him: "Come, and let us smite him with the tongue, and let us not give heed to any of his words" (Jeremiah 18:18b). Talk about a belligerent audience ! Although this faithful prophet proclaimed to the people exactly what GOD knew they needed to hear, he eventually came to the point in his life that he declared in despair, "I will not make mention of [the LORD], nor speak any more in HIS name. . ." (v.9a).
The dedicated pastor or Christian worker who finds himself or herself discouraged by rough circumstances likewise may think of quitting and wonder, "What's the Use ?" Jeremiah certainly knew the feeling. Notice, however, what kept the prophet on the firing line: "But HIS WORD was in mine heart as a burning fire shut up in my bones, and I was weary with forbearing, and I could not stay [quiet]" (v.9b). GOD's WORD, not our personal honor or reputation, is what is at stake. Regardless of how it is received, "preach the WORD. . ." (2nd.Timothy 4:1-4 pictured above) ! Even in our most trying hour, we can say along with Jeremiah, "But the LORD is with me" (v.11); that is all that really matters. DWC
Your servant in CHRIST,
Julie
Copyright, FEATURE: A Daily Bible Study Guide.




No comments:
Post a Comment