John 13:36-14:18 "Simon Peter said unto HIM, LORD, whither goest THOU ? JESUS answered him, Whither I go, thou canst not follow ME now; but thou shalt follow ME afterwards. Peter said unto HIM, LORD, why cannot I follow THEE now ? I will lay down my life for THY sake. JESUS answered him, Wilt thou lay down thy life for MY sake ? Verily, verily, I say unto thee, The cock shall not crow, till thou hast denied ME thrice. Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in GOD, believe also in ME. In MY FATHER's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto MYSELF; that where I AM, there ye may be also. And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know.
Thomas saith unto HIM, LORD, we know not whither THOU goest; and how can we know the way ? JESUS saith unto him, I AM the WAY, the TRUTH, and the LIFE: no man cometh unto the FATHER but by ME. If ye had known ME, ye should have known MY FATHER also: and from henceforth ye know HIM, and have seen HIM. Philip saith unto HIM, LORD, show us the FATHER, and it sufficeth us. JESUS saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known ME, Philip ? he that hath seen ME hath seen the FATHER; and how sayest thou then, Show us the FATHER ? Believest thou not that I AM in the FATHER, and the FATHER in ME ? the WORDs that I speak unto you I speak not of MYSELF: but the FATHER that dwelleth in ME, HE doeth the works. Believe ME that I AM in the FATHER, and the FATHER in ME: or else believe ME for the very works' sake.
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on ME, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto MY FATHER. And whatsoever ye shall ask in MY name, that will I do, that the FATHER may be glorified in the SON. If ye shall ask any thing in MY name, I will do it. If ye love ME, keep my commandments. And I will pray the FATHER, and HE shall give you another COMFORTER, that HE may abide with you for ever; even the SPIRIT of truth; WHOM the world cannot receive, because it seeth HIM not, neither knoweth HIM: but ye know HIM; for HE dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you."
JESUS comforted HIS disciples by promising to send them the HOLY SPIRIT WHO would be "in" them. Prior to the Day of Pentecost, the HOLY SPIRIT abode "upon" believers as GOD willed, but after Pentecost, the SPIRIT indwelt all who trusted in CHRIST (John 14:17). This HOLY SPIRIT abides "for ever" with GOD's OWN (John 14:16).
So WHO, exactly, is this HOLY SPIRIT WHO resides inside every believer ?
First, HE is our ADVISOR -- the SPIRIT instructs us by enabling us to understand the Scriptures (1st.John 2:20 & 27 pictured above) and by aiding us concerning those things for which we need to pray (Romans 8:26 pictured below).
Second, HE is our EXHORTER -- the HOLY SPIRIT encourages us as HE "comes alongside and admonishes, urges, beseeches us" to live in a manner that conforms to the will of our GOD (Acts 20:28).
Third, HE is our COMFORTER -- HE consoles and helps discouraged, downhearted believers (Acts 9:31 pictured above).
Fourth, HE is our GIVER of strength -- the HOLY SPIRIT emboldens and empowers us to live the Christian life as we should (Acts 4:29-31; Romans 8:9,13-14;15:13).
Fifth, HE is our INTERCESSOR -- HE intervenes on our behalf whenever we do not know what to pray for as we should (Romans 8:26-27 pictured below).
In addition to these descriptive terms, today's text also reveals the HOLY SPIRIT's nature -- HE is divine, and HE is TRUTH. The word "another" in John 14:16 means "another of the same kind" as CHRIST. JESUS was soon going to depart to HIS FATHER's house, but the HOLY SPIRIT would take HIS place on Earth. Only GOD could take GOD's place. Yet not only is the SPIRIT divine, but HE is also TRUTH. As GOD, the HOLY SPIRIT cannot but declare that which is true, for HE is TRUTH (John 14:17). What a comfort our COMFORTER is ! MDC
Your servant in CHRIST,
Julie
Copyright, FEATURE: A Daily Bible Study Guide.





No comments:
Post a Comment