Tuesday, May 12, 2015

" My Heart Shall Not Fear " Psalm 27:1-3

Psalm 27:1-3  " The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear ? The LORD is the strength of my life;  of whom shall I be afraid ?  When the wicked, even mine enemies and my foes, came upon me to eat up my flesh, they stumbled and fell.  Though an host should encamp against me, my heart shall not fear:  though war should rise against me, in this will I be confident. "
     David was in a difficult situation, and the outlook, at least from all outward appearances, seemed overwhelmingly bleak.  Yet, what David desired of his LORD in times of testing is truly extraordinary and serves as a helpful reminder to us when we find ourselves fearing future uncertainties.  The psalmist's request for spiritual mercies rather than temporal relief is a prominent theme in this blessed psalm.  Imagine what the LORD could do for us in our own time of testing if we would learn to elevate the spiritual above the physical, if we would realize that HE sometimes sends physical adversities in order to refine and strengthen our faith.  Viewed from eternity's (and the LORD's) perspective, which is more important to you: spiritual victory or temporal relief ?  David knew the answer and desired the  " plain path " (vs.11), not just the easy way out.  He also knew that GOD would guide him safely and securely along the way.
     Enemies will always oppose the righteous, yet their purposes will surely end in disappointment (vv.2-3).  Even the archenemy of our soul, who  " as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour " (1st.Peter 5:8), will one day face defeat at the hand of GOD (Rev.20:10).  David had formidable foes, and so do we.  In addition to our personal struggles, the perilous political scene today can also bring fear and doubt.  But notice David's response to pending conflict.  Was it worry or hopelessness ?  No !  " My heart shall not fear: ... in this will I be confident " (v.3).  Wherein was the psalmist's confidence ?  In HIS LORD, WHO was his light, salvation, and strength (v.1) !  We, too, can confidently say with David,  " Of whom shall I be afraid ? "  No one ! DWC
Your servant in CHRIST,
Julie
Copyright, Feature: A Daily Bible Study Guide. Used with permission.
www.feasite.org 

No comments:

Post a Comment