Thursday, June 11, 2015

" The Blessing of Broken Things "

Psalm 51:1-19  " Have mercy upon me, O GOD, according to THY lovingkindness:  according unto the multitude of THY tender mercies blot out my transgressions.  Wash me thoroughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.  For I acknowledge my transgressions:  and my sin is ever before me.

Against THEE, THEE only, have I sinned, and done this evil in THY sight:  that THOU mightest be justified when THOU speakest, and be clear when THOU judgest.  Behold, I was shapen in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me. Behold, THOU desirest truth in the inward parts:  and in the hidden part THOU shalt make me to know wisdom. Purge me with hyssop. and I shall be clean:  wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
Make me to hear Joy and gladness;  that the bones which THOU hast broken may rejoice.  Hide THY face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities. Create in me a clean heart, O GOD;  and renew a right spirit within me.  Cast me not away from THY presence;  and take not THY HOLY SPIRIT from me. Restore unto me the joy of THY salvation; and uphold me with THY free SPIRIT.

Then will I teach transgressors THY ways;  and sinners shall be converted unto THEE.  Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O GOD, THOU GOD of my salvation: and my tongue shall sing aloud of THY righteousness.  O LORD, open THOU my lips;  and my mouth shall shew forth THY praise.  For THOU desirest not sacrifice;  else would I give it:  THOU delightest not in burnt offering.

The sacrifices of GOD are a broken spirit:  a broken and a contrite heart, O GOD, THOU wilt not despise.  Do good in THY good pleasure unto Zion:  build THOU the walls of Jerusalem.  Then shalt THOU be please with the sacrifices of righteousness, with burnt offering and whole burnt offering:  then shall they offer bullocks upon THINE alter.   Psalm 51:1-19
     Some people's lives are marked by clumsiness and accidents.  Broken bones, broken teeth, or broken promises are not good, but there are some broken things that actually become avenues for GOD's hand of blessing. " The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit. " (Psalm 34:18). The nearness of GOD is a special blessing to those who have had life-shattering experiences.  When all others seem to desert you or are unable to help, the LORD is present with the brokenhearted and is able to provide salvation to those who are contrite of spirit.  When (King) David confessed his sin to GOD, he requested of HIM,  " Make me to hear joy and gladness;  that the bones which THOU hast broken may rejoice." (v.8)  The things which broke the psalmist were the very things necessary to bring him to repentance and spiritual restoration.  His stubborn will had to be broken before he could enjoy forgiveness and joy.  David also declared that  " the sacrifices of GOD are a broken spirit:  a broken and a contrite heart, O GOD, THOU wilt not despise." (v.17)  The LORD will not reject a broken and contrite heart, but HE gives grace to the humble (1st.Peter 5:5-6).
     " HE healeth the broken in heart, and bindeth up their wounds." (Psalm 147:3)  There can be no healing apart from brokenness.  The griefs that afflict the brokenhearted are bound up by the GREAT PHYSICIAN.  One of the reasons why JESUS came to earth was  " to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised." (Luke 4:18-19)  May the LORD break our hearts so that we may experience HIS presence, forgiveness, and fellowship. PNF
Your servant in CHRIST,
Julie
Copyright, Feature: A Bible Study Guide.
Used by permission.   www.feasite.org

No comments:

Post a Comment