Thursday, December 1, 2016

" The Pueblo Bible "

Psalm 119:9-16   " Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way ? by taking heed thereto according to THY WORD. With my whole heart have I sought THEE: O let me not wander from THY commandments. THY WORD have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against THEE. Blessed art THOU, O LORD: teach me THY statutes.
With my lips have I declared all the judgments of THY mouth. I have rejoiced in the way of THY testimonies, as much as in all riches. I will meditate in THY precepts, and have respect unto THY ways. I will delight myself in THY statutes: I will not forget THY WORD.
     " THY WORD have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against THEE " (v.11). If we had no access to any Bible at all, how much of GOD's WORD would be in our hearts ? In 1968 the USS Pueblo and its crew were wrongfully seized by North Korea, who said the ship had violated territorial waters. The Pueblo crew's religious materials, including Bibles, were confiscated by the North Koreans upon their capture. Lt.Cmdr.Stephen Harris reported that a deep belief in GOD helped the ship's eighty-two crewmen survive their eleven-month imprisonment. His own Bible was taken from him at the point of a bayonet, but the enemy could not take away GOD's WORD which was at home in the hearts of the crewmen.
Harris gave this account: " Snatches of hymns, elements of worship services, precious bits of Scripture were written on leftover scraps of paper. This unorthodox, but living, vital document became known as the " Pueblo Bible." In our unchurched, unlearned way we turned to GOD, as prayer groups and secret Biblical discussions sprang up among those who were not in solitary confinement." Harris said when the Pueblo Bible was discovered, he received a "new set of bruises" but was aided out of despondency by the memorized Scripture.
     How much of GOD's WORD have we committed to memory ? How many verses can we recite ? Are there any chapters in the Bible that we could write out from memory ? When sharing with an unsaved person, do we have Salvation verses right at hand in our memory bank ? May we continually purpose to " let the WORD of CHRIST dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another " (Colossians 3:16a). GWZ
Your servant in CHRIST,
Julie
Copyright, Feature: A Daily Bible Study Guide.
Used  with  permission.   www.feasite.org



2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You are so very welcome, Michel ! I am glad that you took the time to stop by. I hope it encouraged your soul.

      Delete