Friday, October 18, 2019

" The Extent of Divine Forgiveness "

Psalm 32:1-11   "Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered. Blessed is the man unto whom the LORD imputeth not iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no guile. When I kept silent, my bones waxed old through my roaring (groaning) all the day long. For day and night THY hand was heavy upon me: my moisture is turned into the drought of summer. Selah. I acknowledged my sin unto THEE, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the LORD; and THOU forgave the iniquity of my sin. Selah. For this shall every one that is godly pray unto THEE in a time when THOU may be found: surely in the floods of great waters they shall not come nigh unto him.
THOU art my hiding place; THOU shalt preserve me from trouble; THOU shalt compass me about with songs of deliverance. Selah. I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go: I will guide thee with MINE eye. Be ye not as the horse, or as the mule, which have no understanding: whose mouth must be held in with bit and bridle, lest they come near unto thee. Many sorrows shall be to the wicked: but he that trusts in the LORD, mercy shall compass him about. Be glad in the LORD, and rejoice, ye righteous: and shout for joy, all ye that are upright in heart."
     Using some incredibly powerful and poignant expressions, David wrote this amazing psalm of GOD's gracious forgiveness. He utilized two terms to describe his wicked behavior, likely to show the extent and the depth to which sin had sunk into his heart (v.1). His use of the word "transgression" specifies, in this context, a moral revolt against the LORD. David recognized this wickedness for exactly what it was: breaking the commands of GOD regarding covetousness, adultery, the dishonoring of family, and murder, to name a few. This term expresses David's rebellion against the LORD. The second word David used is "sin." The Old Testament uses this term over 500 times, and it means "to miss the mark" at which one is aiming. However, if the intended target is missed, then another one is hit; the sin, therefore, is exacerbated. Both "transgression" and "sin" express intentional moral perversion. The specific sins that David committed - adultery and murder - required that he be executed (Leviticus 20:10 see picture for verse; Deuteronomy 21:22; 22:8). the latter text entails deliberately endangering the life of another, which was exactly what David did to faithful Uriah in the battle (2nd.Samuel 11:14-15, see picture for verses).
     Yet despite David's deeply depraved and selfish desires and behavior, the LORD mercifully and graciously forgave him. HIS forgiveness is expressed with two interesting words: "forgiven" and "covered" (v.1). The term "forgiven" is a rich term with a wide variety of connotations that add to the extent of forgiveness. It conveys the idea of "to carry away, lift up, and help." In addition, the word "cover" means to completely "conceal" or "hide." Our gracious GOD has forgiven and covered all of our sins ! GDF
Your servant in CHRIST,
Julie
Copyright, FEATURE: A Daily Bible Study Guide.
Used with permission.   www.feasite.org

No comments:

Post a Comment