Friday, September 25, 2020

" Genuine Repentance "

Psalm 51:1-19  "Have mercy upon me, O GOD, according to THY lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of THY tender mercies blot out my transgressions. Wash me thoroughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin. For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me. Against THEE, THEE only, have I sinned, and done this evil in THY sight: that THOU might be justified when THOU speak, and be clear when THOU judge. Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me. Behold, THOU desires truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden part THOU shalt make me to know wisdom. Purge me with hyssop. and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.

Make me to hear joy and gladness; that the bones which THOU hast broken may rejoice. Hide THY face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities. Create in me a clean heart, O GOD; and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from THY presence; and take not THY HOLY SPIRIT from me. Restore unto me the joy of THY salvation; and uphold me with THY free SPIRIT. Then will I teach transgressors THY ways; and sinners shall be converted unto THEE.

Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O GOD, THOU GOD of my salvation: and my tongue shall sing aloud of THY righteousness. O LORD, open THOU my lips; and my mouth shall show forth THY praise. For THOU desires not sacrifice; else would I give it; THOU delights not in burnt offering. The sacrifices of GOD are a broken spirit; a broken and a contrite heart, O GOD, THOU wilt not despise. Do good in THY good pleasure unto Zion: build THOU the walls of Jerusalem. Then shalt THOU be please with the sacrifices of righteousness, with burnt offering and whole burnt offering: then shall thy offer bullocks upon THINE altar."


     King David had committed adultery with Bathsheba and was responsible for the death of her husband. Could he find forgiveness for such horrendous crimes against GOD ? Would the LORD cast him away as another moral casualty ? In a simple reading of the Psalm, it is clear that:
1. David sincerely confessed his sin, and
2. GOD forgave and cleansed David of his sin. David cried out for GOD's abundant mercies and grace, which were greater than his sin (v.1). He requested to be washed and cleansed from his sin that had defiled him (v.2). He did not blame his sin on Bathsheba or on someone else, but he took personal responsibility for his own actions (v.3). He acknowledged his sin as being ultimately against GOD and knew that GOD's judgment was always right (v.4). He knew that he was born with a sin nature and was therefore guilty (v.5). Yet that did not excuse him. GOD wants us to face the truth and be honest in confessing our sin (v.6). This is the only way to experience spiritual cleansing (v.7). It is the only way for restoration of joy and healing in broken relationships (v.8). GOD sees us as we really are, and only HE can blot out all our sins (v.9). Only GOD can do the impossible (vv.10-12). After cleansing and restoring David, GOD had a ministry for him, and HE has one for you as well (vv.13-15). You cannot approach GOD with ulterior motives. HE knows if you are playing games or are genuine. You cannot bribe HIM with outward "religious" acts. It is the "broken" and "contrite heart" that GOD accepts (vv.16-17). Only doing things GOD's way meets with HIS approval (vv.18-19). No sin is too great or appalling that GOD cannot cleanse and forgive. PNF
Your servant in CHRIST,
Julie
Copyright, FEATURE: A Daily Bible Study Guide.
Used  with  permission.   www.featoday.org




 

No comments:

Post a Comment