Friday, February 16, 2024

"The Prayer Series - Prayer is Affectionate"

 

Psalm 42:1-11 "As the hart (deer) panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after THEE, O GOD. My soul thirsteth for GOD, for the living GOD: when shall I come and appear before GOD ? My tears have been my meat day and night, while they continually say unto me, Where is thy GOD ? When I remember these things, I pour out my soul in me: for I had gone with the multitude, I went with them to the house of GOD, with the voice of joy and praise, with a multitude that kept holy day. Why art thou cast down, O my soul ? and why art thou disquieted in me ? hope thou in GOD: for I shall yet praise HIM for the help of HIS countenance. O my GOD, my soul is cast down within me: therefore will I remember thee from the land of Jordan, and of the Hermonites, from the hill Mizar.

Deep calleth unto deep at the noise of THY waterspouts, all THY waves and THY billows are gone over me. Yet the LORD will command HIS lovingkindness in the daytime, and in the night HIS song shall be with me, and my prayer unto the GOD of my life. I will say unto GOD my ROCK, Why hast THOU forgotten me ? why go I mourning because of the oppression of the enemy ? As with a sword in my bones, mine enemies reproach me; while they say unto me, Where is thy GOD ? Why art thou cast down, O my soul ? and why art thou disquieted within me ? hope thou in GOD: for I shall yet praise HIM, WHO is the health of my countenance, and my GOD."
     Communion with GOD entails much more than merely making our petitions known; it is also an exercise of the heart. True prayer is affectionate -- "tender; loving; compassionate." The relationship between the LORD and the abiding Christian is one of tender fellowship, and prayer should be the most blessed expression of the soul redeemed by grace. The ONE before WHOM the believer comes has bestowed love beyond all measure. Such love should bring about a comparable response from within the heart of the saint. Note that the only remedy for the "cast down" soul in today's text was to experience the countenance of his GOD through prayer. To those who believe, "HE is precious" (1st.Peter 2:7 pictured above); that fact should certainly be reflected in our approach unto the throne of grace. When we truly grasp from the Scriptures what GOD has done on our behalf, affectionate praise will be an automatic reaction. Our prayers should reflect our understanding of what GOD's love means to us personally.
     "My soul longeth, yea, even fainteth for the courts of the LORD: my heart and my flesh crieth out for the living GOD" (Psalm 84:2 pictured above). The heart's cry of the psalmist was that he might enjoy the presence of his loving GOD; nothing else would suffice. When we meditate upon GOD's lovingkindness each day, how can we do anything less than come before the throne of grace with full hearts. "We love HIM, because HE first loved us" (1st.John 4:19), and our prayers should be a natural expression of that love. Uttering a few rote expressions will never do (Luke 11:1-9; Genesis 32:24-26); the heart ought to be so engaged that the soul spends itself as we earnestly, adoringly come before GOD. DWC
Your servant in CHRIST,
Julie
Copyright, FEATURE: A Daily Bible Study Guide.
Used  with  permission.    www.featoday.org

https://fivestarchristianministries.com/salvation








No comments:

Post a Comment