Thursday, February 15, 2024

"The Prayer Series - Prayer is Sincere"

 

Psalm 51:1-19 "Have mercy upon me, O GOD, according to THY lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of THY tender mercies blot out my transgressions. Wash me thoroughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin. For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me. Against THEE, THEE only, have I sinned, and done this evil in THY sight: that THOU mightest be justified when THOU speakest, and be clear when THOU judgest. Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me. Behold, THOU desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden part THOU shalt make me to know wisdom.

Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. Make me to hear joy and gladness; that the bones which THOU hast broken may rejoice. Hide THY face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities. Create in me a clean heart, O GOD; and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from THY presence; and take not THY HOLY SPIRIT from me. Restore unto me the joy of THY salvation; and uphold me with THY free SPIRIT. Then will I teach transgressors THY ways; and sinners shall be converted unto THEE.

Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O GOD, THOU GOD of my salvation: and my tongue shall sing aloud of THY righteousness. O LORD, open THOU my lips; and my mouth shall show forth THY praise. For THOU desirest not sacrifice; else would I give it: THOU delightest not in burnt offering. The sacrifices of GOD are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O GOD, THOU wilt not despise. Do good in THY good pleasure unto Zion: build THOU the walls of Jerusalem. Then shalt THOU be pleased with the sacrifices of righteousness, with burnt offering and whole burnt offering: then shall they offer bullocks upon THINE altar."
     Building upon yesterday's definition of prayer we learn that, first, prayer must be sincere, that is, "without deceit or pretense; genuine." We must deal with sin in our life, or else our prayers will be nothing more than pious-sounding pretense. GOD sees our heart. All is open to HIS perfect understanding, and we are only fooling ourselves if we think we can effectually pray without first addressing those matters that we know are robbing us of uninterrupted fellowship and power with GOD (Psalm 139:23-24 pictured at top of post). Sin can be hidden from others but not from GOD. "If I regard iniquity in my heart, the LORD will not hear me" (Psalm 66:18 pictured above; cf. Proverbs 15:8-9,29; Hosea 7:14; Amos 5:21-24). We cannot come unto GOD with a pure heart unless known sin is purged -- it is as simple as that ! The preparation of the heart is the beginning of true, sincere prayer.
     It is important to note that in this study on prayer, we are dealing primarily with the personal prayer life of the believer. Some aspects of our communication with GOD are to be between us and the LORD alone, and they simply are not expedient for mentioning in the context of corporate prayer (for example, the prerequisite that sin be dealt with at the outset). Prayer that is truly genuine and heartfelt cannot be spoken from a pure heart unless confession and cleansing have first taken place (1st.John 1:9 pictured above). This time of waiting quietly before the LORD as the HOLY SPIRIT brings to mind matters that need to be resolved and sins that need to be confessed should be taken care of before we come to the prayer meeting service. Public prayer is not the place to deal with sins and personal issues that ought to be brought before the LORD in secret. DWC
Your servant in CHRIST,
Julie
Copyright, FEATURE: A Daily Bible Study Guide.
Used  with  permission.    www.featoday.org

https://fivestarchristianministries.com/salvation







No comments:

Post a Comment